RE: LNT models -Constancy of Radon levels over time??

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Tel: (412)624-9245
Fax: (412)624-9163
e-mail: blc+@pitt.edu

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Grimm, Lawrence wrote:

> Perhaps Drs. Fields or Cohen can answer this:
>
> In an EPA training session for Radon, I saw a graph/study that indicated
> that it made no difference whether a house was energy efficient(tight
> construction) or inefficient (older, looser construction)with regards to
> Radon levels and all other factors being equal.  I carefully questioned the
> instructor, because the EPA literature always indicates that Radon levels
> are higher in an energy effiecient home.  So which is it?  Is the EPA
> literature perpetuating a myth (my thoughts when the instructor insisted the
> graph was accurate) or does it make a difference?

	--All I can do is cite the results of my study of tens of
thousands of houses from all areas of the nation which showed very little
difference between radon levels in houses in which "much" vs "nothing" was
done to reduce heat loss by weatherstripping, closing gaps under doors,
sealing windows, etc. On the other hand, average radon levels did vary
with the draftiness of the house: for houses judged to be more drafty than
average -0.85, about average - 1.00, less drafty than average - 1.33.
	Actually the main conservation method used was to add insulation
in walls, and that would not affect radon levels.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260