Re: LNT models -Constancy of Radon levels over time??-Musings

In a message dated 3/9/00 12:30:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, blc+@pitt.edu
writes:

<<  On the other hand, average radon levels did vary
 with the draftiness of the house: for houses judged to be more drafty than
 average -0.85, about average - 1.00, less drafty than average - 1.33.
    Actually the main conservation method used was to add insulation
 in walls, and that would not affect radon levels. >>
===============
Dear Radsafers:

The data cited above by Dr. Cohen on average radon levels vs. judged
"draftiness"  shows the ratio of "less drafty than average"/"more drafty than
average" = [1.33/0.85]= 1.56, a 56% increase in radon levels, not looking at
individual houses before and after weatherization.  This would seem to  lend
support my point that radon levels may have increased significantly over time
as the overall housing stock has become more energy efficient, on average.

Further, Dr. Cohen states above that: << "Actually the main conservation
method used was to add insulation  in walls, and that would not affect radon
levels".>>

I don't believe the above conclusion is accurate that wall insulation would
not affect radon levels.  Insulating walls in older homes will reduce the
chimney effect where heat rises up walls drawing basement air [with generally
higher radon levels] into the home.  This is especially true for older
balloon style framing techniques where there was significant air movement up
the wall cavities.

Also, by reducing overall energy use, with wall insulation,  those heating
systems that depend on outside sources of combustion air to support basement
furnace fuel burning, will draw less outside air into the home.  I would
think it is possible that this reduced combustion air demand might lead to
increased  radon levels for most homes, on average, although I am not at all
certain of this point.

Similarly, insulating the floor of a home from a cooler basement as was often
done, would decrease radon from the basement rising into the home through
cracks and penetrations between the basement floor and the first level of the
home.

Accordingly, both wall and floor insulating measures are likely to lead to
increased radon levels in a given home after insulation related conservation
measures are taken.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
email: radiumproj@cs.com