Re: EPA ecological studies

-----Original Message-----

> Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:19:14 -0600
> From: "Michael S Ford" <MFORD@pantex.com>
> To: <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: 2nd Hand Smoke Effects and Ecological Studies

> Would anyone care to comment on whether or not EPA's stated
> consequences from the effects of 2nd hand smoke were based on
> ecological studies or case-control studies, etc.?

> Thanks!
> Michael
> TRAB
> mford@pantex.com

I seem to recall that the conclusions on second hand smoke were based on a
meta-analysis of several case-control studies.

On the other hand, the proposed EPA regulations on fine particulate were based
on an ecological study, the Six Cities Study.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.