From: Wes Van Pelt [mailto:vanpeltw@idt.net]
Sent: March 09, 2000 1:51 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: RE: Alpha contamination survey meters

Radsafers,

I have experience using Ludlum alpha probes (ZnS scintillator type) and have
encountered a difficulty. Outdoors in the winter in NJ (35-40F) the Ludlum
alpha probes stopped working.....i.e., went to zero efficiency. I eventually
had three probes in the field and 2 or 3 had this same difficulty. I never
quite figured out what was happening. After being brought indoors, they
worked the next day, but stopped working when taken outdoors for an hour or
so.

Just some real field experience...

Wes