From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
[mailto:radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu]On Behalf Of Rodney Bauman
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2000 2:19 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re:Alpha contamination survey meters

Many vendors supply such instruments - Eberline, Ludlum, and Bicron-NE, just
name a few.  I would recommend using alpha scintillation probes (e.g.,
Zinc-Sulfide).  They provide a sufficient detection efficiency and exhibit
no
beta/gamma interference.

In order to detect 10 - 20 dpm, a static count time of many seconds to a few
minutes will be required, depending mainly upon background count time,
instrument efficiency and probe size (for direct measurements corrected to
100
cm2).  One cannot frisk/scan with a portable alpha probe and obtain a 10 -
20
dpm decision level.  Static counts are required.  Do you need to detect 10 -
20
dpm total activity?  I can see the need for detecting such levels on a
smear,
but that sounds low for a total measurement.

Rodney Bauman, CHP, RRPT
rodney_bauman@wssrap-host.wssrap.com