Cohen's Paradox

Dr. Cohen,

A week ago or so you stated, "We did not publish a joint paper, and they
(Lubin, Smith and Field) never suggested that we do so. They (Lubin, Smith
and Field) did not claim that my analyses failed to demonstrate that their
proposed explanations for our discrepancy were very highly implausible."

The purpose of my initial posting to the list was to inform you that we do
think your analysis (or lack of analysis) failed to demonstrate that our
proposed explanations were implausible. I assume you understand that now.  We
published a Forum paper concerning your work, a rejoinder, and a follow-up
letter in the journal.  I urge all interested Radsafers to read the articles
regarding Cohen's Paradox published in the HPJ prior to commenting any
further on this issue.  Dr. Cohen, as you have previously tried to do, I urge
you to try to hire an epidemiologist to look at your data.  I have spent
several hundred hours looking over your numerous papers on this topic,
analyzing your data and responding to you in good faith.  I do not feel we
are making any progress in these discussions and sometimes reasonable people
must agree to disagree.  I think the time has come until another day. I have
enjoyed my private email discussions with other Radsafers on various topics
emanating from the public postings and look forward to continued private
emails from interested Radsafers.

I must agree with Dr. Mossman, the responsibility to resolve the LNT question
resides with Cohen. Cohen must convince the scientific community that he is
right and everybody else is wrong.

I will resist responding any further publicly to the validity of your
findings for now.  Please do not misinterpret my silence as agreement with
your public postings.  Feel free to contact me directly if you are interested
in writing a joint paper describing the strengths and limitations of ecologic
and case-control studies for examining radon risk.  I am also open to any
other questions (via mailto:bill-field@uiowa.edu) regarding any statement I
have made on the listserv this past week.  Dr. Cohen, good luck on your quest!

Respectfully,  Bill Field

R. William Field, Ph.D.
College of Public Health
Department of Epidemiology