Subject:    Re: Bill in Congress
Author: <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Date:       03/10/2000 1:57 PM

I know there's a Weldon Springs site in St. Charles, Missouri.  Is there
also a Weldon Spring in Maryland (and what was done there, if so), or is
this a mistake?

I notice there's no provision for dose.  Are they intending to give money
to anyone who was ever monitored (or "should have been") at a DOE facility
and gets cancer?   Very interesting, if so.  In the past we badged everyone
in Oak Ridge even if it wasn't required according to the regulations. A
major part of the justification was that, in the event of a lawsuit, it was
better to have records showing no dose rather than having no record for the
individual.  Apparently that logic was flawed!

Liz Brackett

>A BILL
>To establish a compensation program for Department of Energy employees
>injured in Federal nuclear activities.
>
>Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United
States
>of America in Congress assembled,
>
>SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
>
>This Act may be cited as the `Department of Energy Nuclear Employees
Exposure
>Compensation Act'.

    <snip>

>SEC. 3. DEFINITIONS.
>
>For purposes of this Act:
>
>(1) DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY- The term `Department of Energy' includes the
>predecessor agencies of the Department.
>
>(2) DOE NUCLEAR EMPLOYEE- The term DOE nuclear employee` means an individual
>employed by--
>
>(A) the Department of Energy;
>
>(B) an entity that contracted with the Department of Energy to provide
>management and operations, management and integration, production, testing,
>research, development, environmental remediation, or waste management at
>facilities at locations, including the following:
>
>(i) Portsmouth, Ohio;
>
>(ii) Paducah, Kentucky.
>
>(iii) O.R. K-25, Tennessee;
>
>(iv) O.R. Y-12, Tennessee;
>
>(v) O.R. X-10, Tennessee;
>
>(vi) Hanford, Washington;
>
>(vii) Idaho National Engineering Laboratory;
>
>(viii) Rocky Flats, Colorado;
>
>(ix) Fernald, Ohio;
>
>(x) Miamisburg, Ohio;
>
>(xi) Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico;
>
>(xii) Pinellas, Florida;
>
>(xiii) Pantex, Texas;
>
>(xiv) Nevada Test Site;
>
>(xv) Brookhaven, New York;
>
>(xvi) Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory;
>
>(xvii) Sandia National Laboratory, New Mexico
>
>(xviii) Burlington, Iowa;
>
>(xix) Fermi Nuclear Facility, Illinois;
>
>(xx) Weldon Spring, Maryland; or
>
>(xxi) Savannah River, South Carolina
>
>(xxii) Argonne National Lab, Illinois
>
>(C) a supplier that supplied uranium conversion or manufacturing services,
>including Allied Signal Facility in Metropolis, Illinois, Nuclear Fuels
>Services in Erwin, Tennessee, Linde Air Products, Tonowanda, New York, and
>Reactive Metals in Ashtabula, Ohio.

   <remainder deleted>