Re: Re[2]: Bill in Congress

It will be very interesting to see how this legislation works out.
There are many contradictory concepts being bantered. Epidemiology
has always been an issue that has never been appropriately used in
causation cases. The dose was always assumed to be the causal factor,
and the defendants had to demonstrate that it wasn't, often in a
hostile environment. The nuclear reactor world had been fortunate
that jurys seemed to see beyond the BS bantered about by plantiff's
attorneys (ambulance chasers) and have always found in favor of the
utility as being not the cause of the plantiff's illness.

Dosimetry is not always the answer, although the pro-nuclear
attorneys, such as Don Jose and Dave Wides, will tell you that it's
hard to prove a negative, and it's therefore, better to have some
data to support your claims. But that isn't the end catch all savior.
In some cases external dosimetry isn't the only need you have to
mitigate for. There's the case of airborne, internal and the
previously used offense stating that hot particles were the cause of
the illness, which the external dosimetry just wouldn't detect. The
plantiff's take a truth and then expand beyond reason.

The power reactors are currently collecting a significant amount of
data as part of an epidemiological study. It will be a major effort
to prove that there has been no significant correlation between dose
and illness at our operating plants. Unfortunately it will be
dismissed by those who always dismiss, and used by those who always
accept positive data.

If there is the day where no proof need be provided, it will be
another sad day in our justice system. We already have too many short-
comings .. and this will be just one more. Truth and honesty will be
a virtue of the past. We will all become victims of this new
philosophy.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205