Radon vs. LNT - [CUT TO] the Chase ("From bug")

About 80% of the previous text (including the text that was responded to) by
Dr. Per Drake, PEDR@ringhals.vattenfall.se, was killed by the "from bug".
Below is the text with the "from" replaced by the word "BUG".

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
The first question concerning radon is not precise enough. True we have been
exposed to low levels of radiation since life began, but the last 50 years
or so we have made our houses more "air tight" to reduce the cost of
heating, which in turn has increased the normal background from 1 mSv/year
to 3 mSv/year and we have also added medical examinations amounting to appr.
1 mSv/year. A factor 4 might be a disadvantage and is equivalent to or
higher than the average increase from irradiation in radiological work such
as X-ray at hospitals, air traffic, nuclear workers.

The question concerning unidirectional irradiation is dealt with in ICRP 74
e.g Figures 68 and 69.

BUG  Figure 69 it can be seen that a dosemeter on the front of the trunk
will give a good estimate of the effective dose for all irradiation
geometries in a nuclear power plant (photon energy average well above 100
keV). In general the radiation fields in a power plant tends to be more
isotropic than most people are aware of.

For irradiation from the rear an additional dosemeter worn on the rear side
of the torso combined with an algorithm for combining the readings of the
two dosemeters (such as (2*Dmax + Dmin)/3 ) will improve the accuracy. For
irradiation from underfoot or overhead the effective dose is overestimated
from the reading of such a pair of dosemeters. For low energy unidirectional
fields such as X-ray irradiation the problem is more complicated as a large
proportion of the radiation is attenuated.

More problematic is the fact that the radiation field close to a source is
diverging leading to high dose rates for parts of the body close to the
source. Such cases normally needs to be monitored carefully, usually by
using multiple dosemeters.

You can find several references in Radiation Protection Dosimetry also for
neutron irradiation.