Tokaimura fallout detection

            SUBJECT:  Tokai fallout detection in Southern California

            We at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (San Clemente
       CA) have
            noted that the gross beta activity from our environmental
       particulate
            air samples is elevated for the collection period ending
       October 26,
            1999. The values average 6.4e-2 pci/m3.  This week has the
       highest
            average and the highest single gross beta reading since
       June 1986 when
            we were seeing fallout from Chernobyl.  The lag time from
       the
            Tokaimura accident (~ 3 weeks) is consistent with the
       fallout lag time
            from the Chinese weapons tests in the early 80's and from
       the
            Chernobyl accident.
            Has another member seen elevated radiological
       enviornmental monitoring
            data from this time frame?  hansenna@songs.sce.com  Noel
       Hansen (949)
            368-8123