BP Amoco settles suits tied to US workers' cancers

Sandy --

By way of comment:  The possibility of brain tumors in Pu workers was raised
by some epidemiologic studies, but in a paper published in Health Physics
not too long ago, Baruch Gold and I observed that in a group of 260 deceased
USTUR registrants (all Pu workers), all brain tumor deaths occurred in
workers from only a single site,  Since all the cohort had a similar
radiation exposure history irrespective of work site,  we concluded that
radiation was not the cause of these brain tumors but rather something else
likely associated with that one specific site.

Although we did not speculate as to cause,  it is my strong suspicion that
solvents may have been implicated in those brain tumor cases (glioblastomas
and astrocytomas).  There is epidemiologic evidence to support this
suspicion in  that studies of refinery workers have shown an excess of brain
tumors which I think was related to exposure to straight chain aliphatic
compounds.  n-hexane is, of course, a straight chain aliphatic.

Ron Kathren