Re: DoT rules (49CFR)

Dear Radsafers -

Dr. Weiner is correct. Radioactive material of Type A quantities
that is to be shipped by air gets categorized by the courier as
'Inaccessible Dangerous Goods' (IDGs). IDGs acquire this
designation because they are consiodered not likely to pose
an immediate threat to the integrity of the aircraft or to the
health of the pilots if released during flight. Hence, IDGs get
stowed away from the pilots. The distance helps minimize
their exposure to any radiation from the packages, and
makes room in the closest portion of the cargo bay to the
cockpit for 'Accessible Dangerous Goods' (ADGs). ADGs
are materials which, if released, may cause immediate
structural/control system failures of the aircraft via
flammability/corrosively/reactivity, or loss of crew consciousness
via toxicity. The close proximity to the cockpit is deliberate;
it is intended to give the crew quick and ready access to any
escaped ADGs to help get them under control before serious
damage or crew incapacitation can result.

Steve
Steve Frey, Head
Operational Health Physics (OHP) Department
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC)
Phone:(650) 926-3839 (office),
      (650) 926-3030 (fax),
E-mail address: sfreyohp@SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Any thoughts expressed here are not meant
to speak for SLAC or any other party in any
capacity unless so stated.

be loaded get stored By comparison, 'Accessi