LNT - HP education

If HP education now includes LNT as gospel as Jim Muckerheide states,
things have really changed over the years.  I was taught that LNT was a
conservative model of dose response to be used for radiation protection
purposes until further knowledge was obtained at low doses.  Of course,
that was back in the '60s.  Somehow over the years it appears that LNT
has gone from a working hypothesis deemed to be conservative to
something akin to "fact" in spite of confounding data which is dismissed
because it does not fit the LNT paradigm.  As Ken Mossman wrote
(Trivialization of Radiation Hormesis, SSI News, 2/99, page 15) "What we
are experiencing is a situation where any alternative theory to LNT is
either completely ignored or is subject to a higher standard of
scientific proof."

As always, just my own thoughts and not necessarily those of my
employer.

Kjell Johansen
Wisconsin Electric Power Company
Milwaukee