Pu in open-front hoods

I am working on radiation protection needs for a new facility.  The work
involves materials testing and analytical chemistry of Pu.  This work is
currently done in a 50 year old building and much of the work is done in
open front hoods.  (For those not familiar with open front hoods, the
design is similar to a fume hood but the sash is fixed - cannot be adjusted
up or down.  These hoods allow for ease of operations and have a air change
rate on the order of 6 -7 air changes per hour.)  The workers would like to
continue operation in open-front hoods in the new facility, but since they
do not offer the same protection as gloveboxes, it may be difficult to
defend that decision.  The ventilation costs associated with open front
boxes is also prohibitive.  We are attempting to find a way to
quantitatively measure the risk and benefits associated with open-front box
use vs glovebox.

The question I have is how many of you are associated with similar
operations - work with Pu in open front hoods?  What limits on type, form,
and amount are placed on operations in these hoods?  What is the basis for
the limits?  What is your operational history - accidents, contamination
spread, ...?