Re: New dosimeter for emergency personnel

Okay, how frequent are events of those magnitude compared to, say,
firefighters responding to an accident involving a unit dose delivery
vehicle, or a fire in a small tracer lab, etc.?  In a Chernobyl or
Tokaimura situation, the kinds of instruments needed to get good info for a
good subsequent dose reconstruction would probably need a proficient HP to
operate them, unless you want to base your calculations on measurements
taken by someone who last saw such an instrument at a training session up
to a year ago.  If the situation calls for sophisticated
detection/quantification equipment, I'd say it also calls for a subject
matter expert to operate it and advise the response commander.

For the record, I have no connection to the work on these dosimeters.

Phil

At 10:15 AM 3/17/00 -0600, you wrote:
>> "The responder community does
>> not need sophisticated radiation detection equipment," says Los Alamos's
>> Benjamin Warner, "they simply need to know if a radiological situation
>> poses a threat to them."
>
>Oh really!!  Did this individual ever hear the term "dose
>reconstruction"? Tell this to the Chernobyl or Tokaimura responders,
>and, tho those accountable to define what the actual doses received
>were.

>Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
>Director, Technical				Extension 2306
>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149

>ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

>ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>
>Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205
>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

Philip Hypes
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Safeguards Science and Technology Group (NIS 5)
(505) 667-1556  phypes@lanl.gov

Opinions expressed are purely my own unless otherwise noted