Re: DNA DSB damage from 3 to 10 eV electrons

I missed this. I'd read the Perspective in Science so I'd passed by this note.

But the implication is the opposite of this premise:  This paper kills the
false notion that ionizing radiation is a unique source of dsb's! Biology
fundamentally works on electron transfers, and this shows that (low-energy)
electrons can be captured on one DNA strand with a reaction that includes
breaking the other strand. (And dsb's are readily repaired [not to ssb
standards! :-)] with some detailed descriptions of the mechanics of the
process in the last few years; or the damaged cell is removed!)

But, cancer isn't a function of damaged DNA/cells. If your repair/control
processes are working, the vast number of damaged cells in your body (a
trivial fraction are from radiation] will NOT progress to a tumor. If/when
promoted, they'll be destroyed. But, sufficient rad doses overwhelm repair
processes (NOT from numbers of damage events, which are still trivial compared
to oxidative metabolism) that leave unrepaired latent damage, that progress
when immune and other control processes degrade (cancer is a strong function
of age!).

Natural radiation seems essential to those functions, when it's blocked,
biological systems fail. High natural doses, or rad supplements, stimulate
those functions when your immune/control functions are otherwise
over-stressed. See the positive results in, e.g., radium/radon spas etc., and
the molecular biology of dose-response to moderate doses that have been
identified here often. (That's why mice in SPF conditions w/ and w/o low-dose
supplements don't show significant effects. But animals in natural conditions,
and humans in less-than-ideal dietary, bacteriological, and other stress
conditions, DO show a significant difference!) See, e.g., the recent mice
study in France with longer lives for the groups with 7 and 14 rem/year, and
e.g., nuclear workers, medically-exposed, the Taiwan Co-60 exposed population
with 17 years of negligible cancer vs. Taipei residents, etc. etc.
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/Data_Docs/

Regards, Jim
muckerheide@mediaone.net