US Seeks Share of China's Nuclear Power Program

US Seeks Share of China's Nuclear Power Program

Beijing, March 20 (Bloomberg) -- China is expected to invest about
$15 billion in new nuclear power plants from 2001 to 2005 to
diversify power generation, and U.S. companies are now angling for a
share of a market that was closed to them until 1998.

China is now formulating its 10th five-year plan, covering the period
from 2001 to 2005. Under discussion is a proposal to build four to
six reactor units in the provinces of Guangdong, Shandong and
Zhejiang, said Woodrow Williams, director of sales for General
Electric Company's nuclear energy division.

Each reactor unit carries a price tag of $2.5 billion to $4 billion
said Joe F. Colvin, chief executive of the Nuclear Energy Institute,
a U.S. industry group. With approximately $15 billion in potential
business at stake, U.S. manufacturers are in Beijing trying to raise
their profile at the International Nuclear Industry Exhibition, which
opened today, he said.

``Our purpose here is really to try to bring to the Chinese the
benefits of our technology,'' Colvin said. ``The U.S. has been the
teacher and the leader in this technology and our message to China
is: ``you ought to learn from the teacher and not from the
students''.''

Until 1998, U.S. law prohibited U.S. companies from selling nuclear
power plant technology to China, which allowed companies from France
and Canada to dominate the Chinese market.

With the large scale of planned investment, the U.S. companies are
looking to gain ground, Colvin said.

``There's a great opportunity here and obviously we want to get in
here and develop partnerships with China like the French and the
Canadians have done so far,'' he said.

New Plants

China currently has three nuclear power plants in operation, with
another eight under construction, though nuclear power still accounts
for less than 1 percent of China's total electric power output,
Colvin said.

China aims to generate about 3 percent of its electricity through
nuclear power by the year 2006, earlier reports in official media
said.

``We would like to be able to participate in those plans and we've
been working with the various provinces that are currently planning
these projects,'' GE's Williams said.

While U.S. companies are excited about the prospects for the Chinese
market, they could be hampered by China's lack of legislation on
nuclear liability protection, Williams said.

The framework for how the Chinese government would provide liability
protection for manufacturers in the event of an accident was provided
in an executive order written in 1986, although it is not in the form
of a law, he said.

Some U.S. companies have already worked with China to provide
expertise on the subject and an international seminar on nuclear
liability will be held in Beijing at the end of April.

Draft Law

Meantime, a legislative committee in China's National People's
Congress is drafting a bill similar to the U.S. Atomic Energy Act.
The proposed legislation could be ready within a year, Williams said.

``The Chinese know they have to come up with a law on nuclear
liability,'' he said. ``Without that protection, some U.S. companies
may decide not to bid for these projects.''

One other potential stumbling block for U.S. companies seeking a
foothold in the China market is competing strategies for developing
China's nuclear power industry put forward by the two main government
agencies charged with setting policy.

On the one hand is the China National Nuclear Corporation, which is
pushing the idea of gradually improving old designs.

While the corporation has asked U.S companies if they would
participate in such modifications, the U.S. companies have no
interest in such plans.

``We have said absolutely not, we will not do it, period,'' Williams
said. ``It's the wrong thing to do as China should embrace advancing
technology, improve safety, improve the techniques of construction
and reduce the overall costs of generating electricity. But if they
take the CNNC approach, they will not do any of that.''

The State Power Corporation, an umbrella organization for provincial
utilities that grew out of the old Ministry of Electric Power, says
China should embrace advanced, proven technologies.

General Electric is hoping the State Power Corporation will win out
so the company can sell its advanced boiling water reactor technology
to China, Williams said.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205