Re: IAEA Safety Series #1 / Nbs #92 / NCRP #30

I'll push the radiotoxicity tables back a little further. I have an NBS
Handbook 48 (NCRP-8, 1951), Control and Removal of Radioactive
Contamination in Laboratories, that gives Table 1 Hazard fr*m absorption
into the body, on page 4. It references NBS Handbook 42 as the source for
Table 1. The groups and nuclides given are as follows:

I. Slight hazard Na-24, K-42, Cu-64, Mn-52, As-76, As-77, Kr-85, Hg-197

II. Moderately dangerous H-3, C-14, P-32, Na-22, S-35, Cl-36, Mn-54, Fe-59,
Co-60, Sr-89, Cb-95 (prob. a typo for Nb-95), Ru-103, Ru-106, Te-127,
Te-129, I-131, Cs-137, Ba-140, La-140, Ce-141, Pr-143, Nd-147, Au-198,
Au-199, Hg-203, Hg-205

III. Very dangerous Ca-45, Fe-55, Sr-90, Y-91, Zr-95, Ce-144, Pm-147,
Bi-210

                    David W Lee
                    <lee_david_w@lanl.        To:     Multiple recipients of list
                    gov>                      <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    radsafe@romulus.eh        Subject:     Re: IAEA Safety Series #1 / Nbs #92
                    s.uiuc.edu                / NCRP #30

                    03/20/00 12:02 PM
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

--=====================_8209859==_.ALT
Ken:

         The original radionuclide toxicity table was first published by
the IAEA in its Technical reports Series No. 15, "A Basic Toxicity
Classification of Radionuclides" (1963).  What the IAEA did was peruse the
(MPC)-air (168-hr week) values for the various nuclides that had been
listed in ICRP #2 and then arrange the nuclides into the "High", "Medium"
and "Low" toxicity groups.  Presumably, the nuclides in the "High" toxicity
group have much lower (MPC)-air (168 hr week) values than those in the
"Medium" and "Low" toxicity groups.  Unfortunately, in 1960, when ICRP#2
was first published, no (MPC)-air (168 hr week) value was ever listed for
I-125; I-125 was not addressed by ICRP #2.  The original IAEA table is
entitled "Table 1 -- Radionuclides Arranged in Order of Their Most
Restrictive (MPC)-air Value."  And my page 12 of my NCRP #30 does not list
I-125 either.  I suspect that folks have been modifying the original IAEA
Technical Series Report No. 15 table to fit their own purposes over the
years such that the "latest" such table is but a mere shadow of its
original self.  Happy hunting.  Please let RADSAFE know the identity of
whatever "latest" toxicity table you find.

Best regards  David

At 10:46 AM 03/20/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi All -
>
>I have a question on a table that is quoted numerous times in various
>intuitions safety manuals. The table I believe was originally called
>"Radiotoxicity Hazard from Absorption into the Body".  This table
classified
>certain common radioisotopes in to 4 Group (I Very High - IV Low)  based
on
>their radiotoxicity.
>
>What I find interesting is that some nuclides first published in the NCRP
>#30 as High Toxicity (eg. I-125) 1964 then get republished in IAEA Safety
>Series number 1 1973 as Low toxicity. The latest attempt to sort
>radionuclides into hazard groups I found in the Radionuclide and Radiation
>Protection Data Handbook 1998. This publication took the exempt level
stated
>in IAEA safety series 115 and assigned a group level to it. It now assigns
>hazard group 2 (high) to I-125.
>
>Does any one know where the latest revision of this table could be found?
If
>you have any insight as to where and how these tables were derived I'd
like
>to know?
>
>Ken
>Ken Smith, Radiation Safety Officer
>
>Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)  voice: (831) 459-3911
>University of California                        fax: (831) 459-3209
>1156 High St.                           e-mail: ksmith@cats.ucsc.edu
>Santa Cruz, CA  95064                   web: www.ehs.ucsc.edu

DAVID W. LEE, CHP
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Radiation Protection Services
Radiological Engineering Team Leader
ESH-12, MS K483
Los Alamos, NM  87545
PH:   (505) 667-8085
FAX:  (505) 667-9726
lee_david_w@lanl.gov

--=====================_8209859==_.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>The
original radionuclide toxicity table was first published by the IAEA in
its Technical reports Series No. 15, &quot;A Basic Toxicity
Classification of Radionuclides&quot; (1963).&nbsp; What the IAEA did was
peruse the (MPC)-air (168-hr week) values for the various nuclides that
had been listed in ICRP #2 and then arrange the nuclides into the
&quot;High&quot;, &quot;Medium&quot; and &quot;Low&quot; toxicity
groups.&nbsp; Presumably, the nuclides in the &quot;High&quot; toxicity
group have much lower (MPC)-air (168 hr week) values than those in the
&quot;Medium&quot; and &quot;Low&quot; toxicity groups.&nbsp;
Unfortunately, in 1960, when ICRP#2 was first published, no (MPC)-air
(168 hr week) value was ever listed for I-125; I-125 was not addressed by
ICRP #2.&nbsp; The original IAEA table is entitled &quot;Table 1 --
Radionuclides Arranged in Order of Their Most Restrictive (MPC)-air
Value.&quot;&nbsp; And my page 12 of my NCRP #30 does not list I-125
either.&nbsp; I suspect that folks have been modifying the original IAEA
Technical Series Report No. 15 table to fit their own purposes over the
years such that the &quot;latest&quot; such table is but a mere shadow of
its original self.&nbsp; Happy hunting.&nbsp; Please let RADSAFE know the
identity of whatever &quot;latest&quot; toxicity table you find.<br>
Best regards&nbsp; David<br>
At 10:46 AM 03/20/2000 -0600, you wrote:<br>
I have a question on a table that is quoted numerous times in
various<br>
intuitions safety manuals. The table I believe was originally=20
called<br>
&quot;Radiotoxicity Hazard from Absorption into the Body&quot;.&nbsp;
This table classified<br>
certain common radioisotopes in to 4 Group (I Very High - IV Low)&nbsp;
based on<br>
their radiotoxicity.<br>
What I find interesting is that some nuclides first published in the
NCRP<br>
#30 as High Toxicity (eg. I-125) 1964 then get republished in IAEA
Safety<br>
Series number 1 1973 as Low toxicity. The latest attempt to sort<br>
radionuclides into hazard groups I found in the Radionuclide and
Radiation<br>
Protection Data Handbook 1998. This publication took the exempt level
stated<br>
in IAEA safety series 115 and assigned a group level to it. It now
assigns a<br>
hazard group 2 (high) to I-125.<br>
Does any one know where the latest revision of this table could be found?
If<br>
you have any insight as to where and how these tables were derived I'd
like<br>
to know?<br>
Ken<br>
Ken Smith, Radiation Safety Officer<br>
Environmental Health and Safety
(EH&amp;S)<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>voice: (831) 459-3911<br>
University of
California<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;</x-tab><x-=
tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;
&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>fax:
(831) 459-3209<br>
1156 High
St.<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbs=
p;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;</x-tab>e-m=
ail:
ksmith@cats.ucsc.edu<br>
Santa Cruz, CA&nbsp;
95064<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&n=
bsp;</x-tab>web:
 eudora=3D"autourl">www.ehs.ucsc.edu</a><br>
information can be accessed at

eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.ehs.uiuc.edu/~rad/radsafe.html</a></font></bl
=
ockquote><br><br>
Los Alamos National Laboratory<br>
Radiation Protection Services<br>
Radiological Engineering Team Leader<br>
ESH-12, MS K483<br>
Los Alamos, NM&nbsp; 87545<br>
PH:&nbsp;&nbsp; (505) 667-8085<br>
FAX:&nbsp; (505) 667-9726<br>