data and facts

> If  the predictions of the linear model do not agree with the data, then
> the modelers lose; it is as simple as that.

Unless you're: (a) the EPA, (b) the Clinton Administration, or (c) an
anti-nuke religious zealot, in which case data that do not fit your model
are considered errant, and that's simple also.

> A 1,000
> megawatt oil-powered plant produces 300,000 tons of solid waste; a nuclear
> plant about 20 cubic meters.
>
> Nuclear produces almost no atmospheric pollutants. Oil spews huge amounts
> of particulates and toxic gases into the atmosphere, including carbon
> dioxide, a major cause of global warming. Nuclear is safer, too. A
European
> Union and International Atomic Energy Agency study concludes that oil
kills
> 32 times as many people through exposure to its pollutants.
>
> Electric cars are seen as a panacea by some. But unless we go nuclear, all
> they do is transfer the site of energy- and pollution-generation from the
> car itself to some central power plant that produces the electricity. If
> that power plant is fueled by oil, no pollution or conservation saving has
> been achieved.

Tremendous stuff, this.  All in line with the facts, but will the anti-nuke
and environmental activists ever accept these facts, or simply continue
their anti-information and anti-progress crusade, which is killing people,
not saving them?  Remains to be seen, I am hopeful that there will be a move
towards reason in the near future.

Michael Stabin, PhD, CHP
Departamento de Energia Nuclear/UFPE
Av. Prof. Luiz Freire, 1000 - Cidade Universitaria
CEP 50740 - 540
Recife - PE
Brazil
Phone 55-81-271-8251 or 8252 or 8253
Fax  55-81-271-8250
E-mail stabin@npd.ufpe.br

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
- Steven Wright