RE: Radiation Litmus paper a little Ancient History

Group,

The Army had a litmus style field dosimeter with four vials that changed
color.  They were, as I recall 50, 200, 600, and 1000 rads.  Seemed pretty
useless to me at the time.  If the 50 turned you would have a dose of  50 <
D < 200 and could be fine or a pretty sick puppy in a week or so.  If the
200 turned you might be pretty sick to pretty dead.  Last two vials seemed
absolutely useless.  At the time I saw it, mid 70s it was a relic already.
It was also pretty heavy, like 1/2 a pound.  Was supposed to clip to shirt
like other dosimeters but probably would have fallen off and certainly would
have been a bloody nuisance.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent those
of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans Affairs, or the
U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO
80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115
303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate
vernig.peter@forum.va.gov] Fax 303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate
Fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,, whatever is
pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be
excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."    Paul