CP&L Nuclear Plant Capacity Factor Ranks No. 2 in U.S.

CP&L Nuclear Plant Capacity Factor Ranks No. 2 in U.S.

RALEIGH, N.C., March 21 /PRNewswire/ -- The four nuclear reactors
owned and operated by Carolina Power & Light (NYSE: CPL) (CP&L)
collectively ranked second in the United States for capacity factor
between 1997 and 1999.

Capacity factor is a measurement of the plants' actual operation,
compared to their rated capability.  In the last three years, CP&L's
Harris, Brunswick and Robinson nuclear plants operated, on average,
at 92.9 percent of capacity.  That figure includes refueling outages
and forced outages caused by approaching hurricanes.

CP&L's plants ranked as follows:

* CP&L's single-unit Robinson Plant at Hartsville, S.C., the first
commercial nuclear reactor in the Southeast, was the top-performing
plant in the country, with a three-year capacity factor of 96.87
percent.  That figure included two refueling outages -- one in 1998
and the second, a 29-day outage in 1999 that established a CP&L
record for brevity.

* During those same three years, the two-unit Brunswick Plant near
Southport, N.C., ranked third in the nation with a capacity factor of
93.87 percent.  Brunswick achieved the high capacity factor despite
being shut down three times during the period with the approach of
Hurricanes Bonnie, Dennis and Floyd.

* The Harris Plant's collective capacity factor for the three-year
period was 87.86 percent, compared with an industry average of 80.56
percent.  Harris ranked seventh in the nation in 1999, with a
capacity factor of 96.2 percent.

In the top utility spot for the 1997-99 average was Rochester Gas &
Electric, which operates the single-reactor Ginna Plant.  Ginna had a
three- year average capacity factor of 92.98 percent.

Senior Vice President and Chief Nuclear Officer C.S. "Scotty" Hinnant
said the higher capacity factors at CP&L's plants, in conjunction
with the continued safe operation of the company's plants, are an
important factor in keeping the cost of electricity low for CP&L
customers.

"Our nuclear plants have set six consecutive annual records for
generation, and accounted for more than 46 percent of the electricity
we generated in 1999," Hinnant said.  "That is a reflection on the
caliber of our employees, our ongoing focus on safety and our
continuous investment in the physical condition of our plants.  This
is important for our customers because nuclear power is our most
efficient source of generation, and the more our nuclear plants run,
the lower our fuel costs, which has a direct correlation to customer
bills."

CP&L provides electricity and energy services to 1.2 million
customers in the Carolinas and provides natural gas, through a wholly
owned subsidiary, to 178,000 customers in North Carolina.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205