RE: state regulations - quarterly film requirements

Title: RE: state regulations - quarterly film requirements

Sandy -

Florida also limits use of film badges for one month monitoring periods for its industrial radiographers, but the requirement has nothing to do with the limitiations of the badge, as we also require radiographers' TLDs and OSLDs to be exchanged on a monthly basis.  We have this requirement because we want them to be able to monitor their doses more frequently.  We don't have much faith in pocket dosimeter results, which can be off by up to 30% when properly calibrated.  As you are aware, radiographers receive the highest doses of all nuclear workers (with the possible exception of cardiac cath), so we want them to keep a close track of worker exposures in order to identify unnecessarily high doses that indicate poor work practices, or worse yet, overexposures.  The same philosophy applies to well loggers.

UInfortunately, Part XIII of our regulations (Rad. Safety Requirements for Possession and Use of Sealed and Unsealed RAM) also specifies that film badges and extremity TLDs must be exchanged monthly, so your point appears to be valid in this instance.  We are revising our regulations, so if you are able to provide convincing documentation that this rule should be changed, please forward it to me (hard copies preferred).  You may also want to call me directly to discuss this matter further.

Walter Cofer
Florida Bureau of Radiation Control
Bin C21, 2020 Capital Circle SE
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1741