Re: Heavy concrete info

Quality control is crucial when using such materials, since the heavy components
tend to sink to the bottom.  A wall, for example, would have to be poured in such a
way that the lower layers cure enough to prevent migration of the heavy components,
but not so long that the concrete doesn't cure properly.

If the shield wall is for neutrons, it is also important to use materials with low
activation cross sections.  Trace elements can be a problem, so it is necessary to
have detailed specs for the concrete.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com