Re: Barseback power replaced by Russian & Polish coal

We occasionally imported Russian RBMK electricity already before Barseback 1
was shut down (last day of Nov. 1999). After the shutdown, Sweden shifted
directly from export to import of electricity. We are thus more vulnerable
now at peak electricity demands (some other important reserve capacity has
also been shut down). The Norwegians bought cheap coal fired electricity
during X-mas - which perhaps didn't make sense at first since they have a
lot of hydropower - but think about it for a minute - what that hydropower
is worth when we have February & March in Sweden (this is hard three step
high-level logic for our politicians). The dominating wind direction from
Denmark is toward Sweden BTW - and their coal fired plants have a reputation
of being among the dirtier in this part of Europe.

Definitely my personal reflections,

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com