Re: ALARA What?

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael S Ford <MFORD@pantex.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2000 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: ALARA What?

> Glenn,
>
> I can imagine (somehow) that if you were to be employed by a nuc.
materials company in Ramsar, Iran that they might think it rather ridiculous
that you'd set a dose limit of 1 rem when an average person in that locale
gets 4-5 rem just hanging around the house.

Standards apply to practices and interventions. Any exposure whose magnitude
or likelihood is essentially unamenable to control through the requirements
of the Standards is deemed to be excluded from the Standards, example:
exposure from K-40 in the body, from cosmic radiation at the surface of the
earth and from unmodified concentrations of radionuclides in most raw
materials.
I can't talk about Ramsar, however I can talk a lot on the high
concentration areas in Brazil, including the areas where grow our delicious
Brazil Nuts, (castanha do Para in Portuguese) with high concentration of 40K
and Ra-226. I was responsible during many years (18) to license all users of
radioactive material, and to implement Radiation Safety Standards in Brazil.
All licensed practices in any area, including those areas of high
concentration should follow the recommendation of the Standards and to apply
constraints in the process of optimization.

Jose de Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel