Re: Food irradiation

Individuals like the following gentleman are certainly welcome to express
their opinions....but we ought to insist that only facts be used in attempts
to persuade the public in matters concerning health. Assuming other Radsafers
will identify the glaring factual errors regarding his statements about
radiobiological effects, I'd like to point out that the compound of nitrogen
used as a food additive is nitrite, not nitrate (Does the individual even
know the difference?). And, 'nutient (?) content of enzymes'? This kind of
bogus, buzzwordery balderdash is what all too often fuels such individuals
into believing that they really don't need a legitimate education to be
experts.

Also, note the broadening of the message to utilize anecdotal equating of the
'lousy' taste of irradiated foods (his opinion) with the 'disgusting' taste
(his opinion again) of 'non-organic food' (a self-contradictory phrase if
ever there was one). How can he, or that matter, anyone prove this claim
about the taste of irradiated foods, other than letting the consumer pass
judgment in the marketplace? He can't. Yet the individual claims expertise,
indeed superpowers, in knowing how we all perceive the taste of foods. Thus,
he implies that he has superior judgment (and therefore, the moral
highground). The nerve!

Sir, have you even actually tasted irradiated food? I doubt it.

Until you do, your claims about the taste of irradiated foods are without
merit, and come close to being irresponsible.

Steve Frey

n a message dated 4/2/00 10:15:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,