Re: LNT/ALARA and workable regulations (formerly"Practically workable?")

Just in case I might have missed something, I did a little digging in the
RADSAFE archives and came up with the following:

My original 5/6/1999 post which stated "My issue is not whether LNT, or LT,
or NLT, or NLNT is the more accurate model for calculating risks from
radiation exposure, but, rather, how any alternative to LNT would be
implemented."

On 9/3/1999, Christoph_Hofmeyr/CNS1@cns.co.za wrote a lengthy and thoughtful
response to my May 1999 post, but Mr. Hofmeyr seemed as uncertain as I about
how to draft meaningful radiation protection regulations to include
hormetic/threshold effects.  He did comment, "Collective dose (man-Sieverts)
would become meaningless as an expression of risk, except where individual
doses are well in excess of the threshold."

On 9/3/1999, Bill Lipton responded to Mr. Hofmeyr, "The point is that if we
had a reasonable threshold, we wouldn't have to worry about collective dose."

So we have three proposals:  Relax limits, abandon ALARA, abandon collective
dose.  Abandoning or revisiting collective dose is worth consideration.  Any
other thoughts?

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
glennacarlson@aol.com

In a message dated 4/2/2000 12:08:12 PM Central Daylight Time, GlennACarlson