Re: Food irradiation---do seeds sprout? Did that denaturethe

It is interesting to note that Mr. Phelps seems to think that organic foods are free from fertilizers and pesticides.  Au contraire , Mr. Phelps, organic farmers do use pesticides and do use fertilizers.   Organic farming typically relies on mostly natural fertilizers and pesticides, altho some semi-synthetics are being used. (I am not sure what is worse, cow manure with all of its E.Coli (which we know can and does kill) or a pesticide for which there is speculative data as to its "harmful" effects) .    As for spices, those that are not irradiated, are treated with chemicals, typically a gas to kill all of the bugs and other good things that would come along with your allspice and other exotic spices.  (I'm sure that most people prefer not to see their spices crawl off the table.)   This gas can leave a residue on the spices.   If taste is the only consideration, then we should all grow our own foodstuffs.   Unfortunately, we live in a very complex world, with the vast major!
ity of people well removed from their food sources.    Preservation of food, so that it can get to market, be sold and last for more than a day or two in the household pantry are important considerations for many people.  And like everything else in society, there are choices to be made and with those choices come a cost.  In the case of food, we often sacrifice taste in order to have tomatoes in Boston in January  or  fresh strawberries in NYC (where most people clearly don't grow their own) .    Food irradiation has been safely used in other parts of the world for many years, and it appears to be a good choice with a low cost and good return and no widespread health effects.   If you were to read news clippings of about 100 years ago, when pasteurization of milk was first introduced, you would see the same concerns about "alteration of the milk", "introduction of foreign substances", "unnatural". "unhealthy".  Now most of us wouldn't drink any milk that wasn't pasteurized.
   Just my thoughts and not those of my employer.

                           P.A. Milligan
                           pxm@nrc.gov