Re: Practically workable? (formerly "ALARA What?")

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000 GlennACarlson@aol.com wrote:

> I can hear the slogans now:
>
> "Death from radiation?  You can't PROVE we did it!"

	--My assertions were based on the linear-no threshold theory. We
surely can "prove" that effects of radiation are not worse than that.

> "Radiation?  We're no worse than air pollution."

	--NO. We are 1000 times *better* than air pollution

> "Radiation - 10,000 dead.  Air pollution - 20,000 dead.  We win!"

	--NO. Radiation - less than 10 dead. Air pollution -- 20,000 dead

> And, don't forget that red means a "bad radiation day,"  yellow means a
> "moderately bad radiation day";  and green means a "good radiation day."  On
> red days, we will limit our use of microwave ovens, reschedule appointments
> with the dentist to another day, and reduce power at nuclear plants by 20%.

	--No need for any of this for radiation

> Mr. Cohen's response reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon in which Dilbert's
> manager notes that his department had only two lost time accidents when their
> safety goal was for nine.  The manager announced that seven employees would
> be required to be injured in order to meet the goal.

	--I don't get the connection here