Re: ALARA

Jeff Hoffman stated the following:

> Can some of you actually be arguing against ALARA?  Don't you think it
> good to minimize your dose?

Jeff,

I would say that the issue isn't whether or not ALARA is a good or
bad, rather it's the degree to which it is applied. In your example,
you reference a dose of 1 rem. The question then is, would you apply
the same level of effort to reduce a dose of 0.1 rem as you would to
the dose of 1 rem? Obviously the answer is no. The Reg. Guides and
other guidance documents seem to forget that degree of relevance is
an important consideration. I personally believe that we do not need
to expend hundreds of millions of dollar each and every year to
reduce dose that poses no measurable consequences or risks to those
who receive the dose. Not only did the industry need the BRC policy,
but also a policy that states that the risk is for all practical
purposes, inconsequential and insignificant, as well.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205