Re: ALARA

At 15:36 03.04.2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Jeff Hoffman stated the following:
>
>> Can some of you actually be arguing against ALARA?  Don't you think it
>> good to minimize your dose?
>
>Jeff,
>
>I would say that the issue isn't whether or not ALARA is a good or
>bad, rather it's the degree to which it is applied. In your example,
>you reference a dose of 1 rem. The question then is, would you apply
>the same level of effort to reduce a dose of 0.1 rem as you would to
>the dose of 1 rem? Obviously the answer is no. The Reg. Guides and
>other guidance documents seem to forget that degree of relevance is
>an important consideration. I personally believe that we do not need
>to expend hundreds of millions of dollar each and every year to
>reduce dose that poses no measurable consequences or risks to those
>who receive the dose.

Sandy,

Sorry, but to spend hundreds of millions of dollar each and every year to
reduce dose that poses no measurable consequences.... is  n o t  ALARA! It
is ALAPAAC (as low as possible at any cost) - and this does not make any
sense, I agree.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Resources
Radiation Protection Department
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA