RE: List Server Awards "'Becquies" - Last Call !

I've noticed that requests for assistance get several different categories of responses. I think "Becquies" in each category would be useful as it would reward more contributors. For purposes of discussion, I'll name these categories as practical, theoretical, educational and reorienting responses.

1) Practical. These responses offer "nuts and bolts" answers. For example, a "practical" response to the question "How do I determine the dose rate from...?" would likely discuss instrument selection, survey techniques, etc. This is likely a technician's approach (and the one I think I use most often).

2) Theoretical. These responses offer answers based on calculation. A "theoretical" answer to the question "How much shielding do I need for..." would likely bring up the various shielding equations. I think of this one as the HP's approach.

3) Educational. These responses offer historical, scientific and/or regulatory information necessary to understand the situation. An "educational" response to the question "Should frequent flyers be radiation workers?" would likely touch on regulatory philosophy and studies conducted on doses to persons onboard commercial aircraft.

4) Reorienting. These response generally challenge the underlying assumptions in a question. A "reorienting" response to the question "How do I package a waste shipment of..." might recommend reuse, recycling, or decay in place as alternatives to waste disposal.

I've left out a few categories or responses that I don't find particularly positive:
  -  condemning (the "what a stupid" question response),
  -  political/inflammatory (the "if the rules weren't so stupid, we wouldn't have to talk about this" response), and
  -  irrelevant (the "yeah, but let me launch on my favorite tangent" response).

Rick Edwards, Analyst
The Boeing Company
richard.w.edwards@boeing.com