Re: LNT/ALARA and workable regulations

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 GlennACarlson@aol.com wrote:

> Now, back to my question (first stated in May 1999), which is NOT whether
> LNT, or LT, or NLT, or NLNT is the more accurate model for calculating risks
> from radiation exposure, but, rather, how any alternative to LNT would be
> implemented.
>
> Suggestions so far include 1) reexamining the use of collective dose, 2)
> abandoning ALARA, and 3) relaxing the limits (though to what is not
> specified).

	--My recommendation is to abandon ALARA and use limits of
exposure as we do for air pollution. water pollution, and others.
What these limits should be is worthy of debate, but it should include
some factor of safety over doses for which there is evidence of harm.In
view of the HPS Position paper, I would propose 1 rem per year.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260