Re: LNT/ALARA and workable regulations

While I am not promoting this as ALARA, at this point, I will mention
that in some courts, ALARA has been deemed to be met by defendants by
simply demonstrating that the plaintiff at no time ever exceeded a
regulatory limit. Therefore, in some jurisdictions, the regulatory
limits have been considered the "standard of care" to be met.

I would also like to see ALARA concepts and philosophies removed from
all regulatory documents, and return to regulations being
prescriptive on measurable components only. Philosophy belongs in
guidance documents, information bulletins, etc., and not in a
regulatory document. It used to be that unless a facility committed
to a guidance document, they could not be regulated against it. That
seemed to change over the years. If the government wants to regulate,
it should regulate what's in the regulations, and they should do
whatever can be done to eliminate the subjectively from the
inspector, where appropriate. By doing so individual's agendas can be
reduced, if not eliminated all together.

Lastly, where there is no discernible evidence that demonstrates
risk, by the preponderance of that evidence, regulations should be
based on the "real" risks, and not the "perceived" risks. It's about
time eliminate the "feel good" regulations, and bring reality to the
regulatory process.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205