Re[2]: LNT/ALARA and workable regulations

     Glenn et al,

     I don't believe that it is hard. From reading the posts on this
     subject and the discourse every time the LNT comes up as a subject on
     RADSAFE, it's obvious that the majority of HPs do not believe that the
     LNT is accurate in the low dose region. I'm one of those. While we
     shouldn't make policy or scientific decisions based on opinion polls,
     I don't believe that we should treat ionizing radiation as a "magic"
     poison that's different from all other carcinogenic substances, which
     unfortunately is where we find ourselves.

     If we examine the regulations that pertain to the hundreds of
     carcinogenic chemicals, we find that there is an annual limit set for
     each one (TLVs, BEIs, etc.) but that ALARA is not mentioned anywhere
     in any regulation pertaining to chemical exposures.

     I would not advocate pushing the chemical exposure limits nor would I
     make no attempt to minimize my employees' exposures. However (and it's
     a huge however) the OSHA can't arbitrarily penalize me because they
     don't agree with my exposure minimization effort. The agencies that
     regulate radiation have codified ALARA, and then bastardized the
     system to essentially remove the 'R', resulting in ALAA. This is the
     real problem.

     Why can't we treat radiation like all other carcinogenic substances,
     with an annual limit but without the capricious ALARA regulation? If
     the exposure is below the annual limit, then no further
     exposure-reducing efforts are *mandated* by regulation.

     Comments Glenn?

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steve.rima@doegjpo.com