Re: LNT/ALARA and workable regulations (formerly

>For every little bit of radiation, we calculate the number of >deaths, and
>killing is something the Media are quick to report. >People are moved by
>such reports and view these deaths as real, >perhaps even afflicting
>themselves or their loved ones. The public >has thus been driven insane
>over fear of radiation, losing all >contact with reality.

Sure most Radsafers agree on this. We have a tremendous educational problem
- take the recent discussions we had again about food and irradiation, or
media stuff in Sweden about the potential (speculative) dangers of cell
phones. Our media always "debate" this with very confusing terms around the
word "radiation". We need simple analogies to get some key points through
like if "you won't be grilled if you eat a grilled chicken" (but some
chemical carcinogens may be there...).

Obviously, the media are successful in scaring Americans also - this morning
I spoke with a friend (non-scientist) in the U.S. and she said - "you aren't
using a cell phone are you? I think that they are dangerous - I would never
keep one close to me - or only just very briefly...". I approached the
subject by mentioning magnetic fields from other objects we use and also
that you can't prove that something is not dangerous. Just have to realize
that she probably will continue being afraid of cell phones (she is working
with computers for hours everyday however).

Now - all this is about "radiation" in the media - and people always are fed
with the same message of radiation dangers - but they never heard about
ethylene generated by endogeous bacteria in our intestinal system. So, back
to radiation: It is also tied to nuclear power "so that must also be
dangerous".

I think that it is crucial for all of us into health physics etc to help
sort out the aspects and perspectives of these other fields (like food
irradiation - "irradiated vs. radiating/radioactive" or the magnetic "EMF"
topic which in itself has a lot of confusion with it) even if they are not
exactly our job.

My observations over the years indicate that anti-nukes don't want the
definitions to be clear or the topics explained. They thrive on the
confusion that makes their work easier with decision makers and the media.

Definitely my personal opinions and thoughts,

Bjorn Cedervall  bcradsafers@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/bjorn_cedervall/