Subject: Re: Environmental Epidemiology and Toxicology- K-40 Thread
Author:  <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu> at INTERNET
Date:    2000-04-06 07:51

Radsafers:

FYI. On the subject of interesting sidelights related to K-40 is the issue of
KCl salt "Quickmelt" commonly sold each winter in bulk 50 pound containers
anywhere in the Northern US.

KCl has a K content of about 500 g/kg and a K-40 concentration of over
400,000 pCi/kg  of KCl. Do the math. Years ago after seeing a display of KCl
next to the checkout counter at a local Sams' Club consisting of a palet of
KCl containers [50 pounds each] about 10 deep by 7 wide by 5 high [7945 kg],
I did a quick calculation that indicated a gamma dose rate from K-40 photon
flux would be  about  0.2 mR/hr in the middle of the display.

I went back with a DigiDose meter and placing it in close proximity got a
dose rate of about 0.1 mR/hr, or more than 10 times background. Interesting.

I have a photo of a mother with her small child waiting in the checkout line
next to this KCl salt display.

The irony is  KCl is being mined in bulk and the radiation producing
technologies want  to put nuclear waste into salt mines. Nuclear waste will
eventually decay away with a half life of tens of years to thousands of years
for the major components of a nuclear plant or weapon's  mix. For KCl the K-40
has a half life of more than a billion years. Go figure.

Nevertheless this does make an interesting point on a natural radiation
source being brought into commerce which delivers a dose rate and person-rem
to real people that will far exceed that which nuclear waste storage could
ever deliver in the offsite environment to real people.

Stewart Farber
172 Old Orchard Way
Warren, VT 05674
email: radiumproj@cs.com