Re: FACTS ABOUT TENNESSEE ILLNESSES

Dear Bill:

Thanks.  The "arrogance of power" of the wannabees is also worsened by the
"webees" -- we were here yesterday and we''ll be here tomorrow.

People who would be fired in civilian nuclear powerplant operations get
promoted in DOE.  Too many DOE managers are like the proverbial shotgun
without a firing pin -- they won't work and they can't be fired.

Too often, the DOE complex behaves like a boa constrictor, and puts its "arms
around" the civilian nuclear powerplant industry, treating y'all like puppets
on their string (or bullets in their gun).  That's what they did on this
listserv with respect to the Tennessean series.   They inflamed your
passions.  That cooptation may be more devastating to nuclear power than TMI.
 Don't think DOE is your pal.  DOE is  fighting to survive as an agency, and
it will do or say anything. (Like the farmer said to his grandson, "they're
rattlesnakes in there, and they're pitiless.")

Don't let the bomb builder management culture's unpopularity, misfeasance,
malfeasance and nonfeasance rub off on your profession. I find nuclear
powerplant operations much more safety conscious than DOE.  IMHO NRC is much
more whistleblower conscious than DOE.  The DNFSB is a joke and won't even
talk about generic problems, like whistleblower retaliation, as happened
again in Oak Ridge  last night.  In contrast, NRC tries to be proactive, even
if its fines are paltry and years late.  It's a difference between trying and
not trying.  DOE doesn't try.

Regards,

Ed Slavin

In a message dated 04/06/2000 3:09:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,