Re[2]: FACTS ABOUT TENNESSEE ILLNESSES

     Ed,

     I love the part about DOE management and shotguns...:-)

     However, there ARE lots of honest, caring, conscientous HPs in the DOE
     complex, at least among the contractors. We're not all bad apples.
     Having worked in the nuclear power industry for years, and then the
     DOE complex, you are correct about the difference. When I first came
     to the DOE from nuclear power, it was a culture shock almost as severe
     as when I went from the Navy Nuclear Power program to the civilian
     nuclear power program.

     I may be in the minority, but I would welcome NRC regulation of the
     DOE complex, at least for radiation protection matters. I've never
     believed that any industry/agency can effectively regulate itself when
     it also determines the funding, sets priorities, hires contractors to
     do the work, etc.

     I still have a problem, however, with comparing past practices from
     decades ago at the height of the cold war with today's scientific
     knowledge and regulations. It's an unfair comparison. Automobiles from
     30 or 40 years ago were terribly unsafe compared to those of today,
     but they met government safety standards. Why not compensate past car
     crash victims because in hindsight the government obviously allowed
     unsafe cars to be made and sold based on today's standards?

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steve.rima@doegjpo.com