Without Honor in Their Own Country

Dear Steve:

Exactly my point -- they are exactly like veterans.  They are heroes.  My
father won three Bronze Stars and still receives VA benefits for his service
as a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne in World War II.  The South Jersey
Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division Association is named after him (CPL
Edward  A. Slavin Chapter).  He is honored at parades.  He is invited to
speak at schools.  People still shake his hand in gratitude (he jumped in
Normandy when he was 30, and they called him "the old man.).  Young
paratroopers listen to his stories in awe.

In sharp and marked contrast to veterans, nuclear weapons workers are without
honor in their own country.  No one honors the nuclear weapons workers.  No
one gives them benefits.  No one listens to them. No one "feels their pain."
The President and Vice President have not yet met with them.  Their own
Congressman, Zach Wamp, refused  to meet with them until Senator Thompson
acted first.  How rude.

Meanwhile, DOE has offered selected small groups (beryllium workers, 55 Oak
Ridge workers, Paducah worker) a $100,000 bribe, with no medical benefits, in
exchange for a unilateral disarmament treaty.  That's not the President's
doing, its crass Department of Justice and DOE lawyers like Marc Johnston,
DOE Deputy General Counsel for Litigation.  Meanwhile, DOE contractors like
Lockheed fight the nuclear weapons tooth and toenail in state courts over
penurious levels of benefits. They are unpleasant and unfair, in sharp
contrast to Union Carbide, which settled more workers' compensation  cases.

Our country owes the nuclear weapons workers and Company Town residents in
places like Oak Ridge, Paducah, Piketon, Rocky Flats, Hanford, Los Alamos,
etc. a debt of gratitude.  Instead they have been lied to and kicked in the
teeth.

This is not only the practice of DOE and the Federal Government.  I also once
heard a prestigious environmental group leader state, "They made their pact
with the devil and so they have to live with the consequences."  Some have
been truly hateful, as demonstrated by three years of pejorative comments on
this listserv.  Today, those comments have ceased.  Senator Thompson held a
hearing on March 22.  Nuclear weapons workers are at last being treated with
dignity, respect and consideration.  For that we thank you all for your
support.

When the footnoted, endnoted version of my testimony is posted soon, perhaps
some of you could offer suggestions about how to draft the "interim
presumption" for the workers' compensation legislation, so that those who
have illnesses can be compensated without having to prove causation, as Al
Brooks now agrees is necessary, in a way that will be reasonable.

With kindest regards,

Ed Slavin

In a message dated 04/06/2000 5:04:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,