Hanford Man Misreads E-mail, Misunderstands All

Dear Mr. Aldrich:

Thank you for speaking out.  It was good to hear from you.  The compensation
I propose is basically the one Congress established for Black Lung victims
(the interim presumption) before medical standards are in place.

Since DOE controlled the data, the epi studies, the science, the health
physics and the industrial hygiene, why in the name of all that's holy do
you want to put the burden of proof on the sick and dying victims of DOE?
How much do you think that would cost per case?

My Friend AL BROOKS of Oak Ridge, Tennessee, as well as Senator Fred Thompson
and other Republican Senators support a system where the burden of proof is
not on the worker.  The first nuclear weapons worker compensation bill was
proposed by Senator Albert Gore, Sr. in 1958 and 1962. Show some compassion.

Since the polluters would pay the cost of compensating their victims under my
proposal, why are you so sanctimonious about the cost to your "billfold"?  Do
you mean out of your dividends?  Do you work for DOE or a contractor?

And no, I did not say that anyone made a "pact with the devil."   I said that
an enviro from a respected group once said that, and that is part of the bad
attitudes.  Part of the problem with DOE folks like you is that you think you
know everything, you don't pay attention, and you misquote other people,
marginalizing them.  Go back and read what I wrote and then form an informed
opinion.  Please.  Now.Read before you write.  Think before you opine.
Understand first, ask questions, and shoot later.  People might think you are
an anti-literate enegumen, like the ones who attacked the Tennessean and the
sick Oak Ridge workers.

In one Hanford whistleblower case, a tatterdemalion "malcontent" managers, a
former Air Force colonel, gathered 15 notebooks full of documents, including
religious tracts given to a whistleblower's friend.  The DOE  IG asked the
friend to wear a wire to get the whistleblower, not to investigate
retaliation.  This was because the whistleblower was suspected of being a
"mole" for Rep. John Dingell, Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce
Committee.  IMHO, Hanford management has no respect for Constitutional and
civil rights.  Possibly Hanford management hates America, and prefers the
authoritarian models of China, Cuba, North Korea, Iraq.

IMHO, DOE Richland Operations management has delusions of adequacy.  Do you
support or defend their actions?  Apparently so. What a pity.

You should carefully read my testimony, "DOE's Toxic, Hostile Working
Environment Violates Human Rights," particularly Chapters 4 & 5. I will post
the web url soon.

You sir, do sound like a malconent, a whiner, or whatever revealing ad
hominems you directed in my clients' direction.  In  short, it sounds like a
personal  problem, maybe even an emotional problem, with protected activity.
I don't know of any "big" whistleblower settlements by DOE or its
contractors, anywhere.  You sound like you have whistleblower envy.  Have you
been a witness in any Hanford whistleblower cases?  What is your title?  Are
you a manager?  How many people in your organization?  Have you ever sat down
and talked with any of the Hanford whistleblowers?  Have  you ever met them?
Or are you basing your opinion about whistleblowers on what the Hanford
contractor surveillance crew has told you?

As Robert Kennedy once wrote to Senator James O. Eastland, "repent now,
there's still time."

With kindest regards,

Ed Slavin

In a message dated 04/06/2000 7:44:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,