Re: FACTS ABOUT TENNESSEE ILLNESSES

Without commenting extensively on Mr. Slavin's postings, I do wish to point
out that the phrase "...acetonitrile (a cyanide compound)..." is confusing
and misleading.   One method of synthesizing acetonitrile uses cyanide
salts, but so what?  The product of a synthesis does not retain  the
properties of the reagents used in the synthesis.  In general, a compound
does not retain the chemical properties of what it was made from, because
the chemical properties are a function of the electronic structure, and the
electronic structure (chemical bonds) of the compound are generally quite
different from those of the reagents it was made from.  The example I aways
used in freshman chemistry was NaCl, which of course has none of the
properties of either metallic sodium or gaseous chlorine.

I also find the recital of lists of large quantities of chemical compounds
off-putting.  My car gas tank holds 12 gallons of gasoline (nearly 100
liters) when full.  It is exceedingly flammable, explosive under the right
conditions, and exceedingly hazardous to drink or breathe.  In fact, the
chemical reaction that powers my car is not a reaction one wants to get too
close to.  I believe Mr. Slavin can take my point without further
belaboring.

Unfortunately, Mr. Slavin's arguments are undercut by this kind of
recitation (e.g. "...cyanide and cyanide products present at ... K-25")
which sounds like a typical "lawyer's trick."

Ruth F. Weiner, Ph. D.
7336 Lew Wallace NE
Albuquerque, NM
505-856-5011