Re: FACTS ABOUT TENNESSEE ILLNESSES

Dear Susan:

First, what "dogfight?"  This is a civil discussion among professionals who
respect each other.  You must have us confused with the Oak Ridge City
Council.  Pretty much everyone who has commented (privately and publicly)
agrees that the sick workers deserve better treatment.  No  one today defends
Oak Ridge burghers' attack on sick workers, on this list or otherwise.  Those
days are over.

Second, unfortunately, DOE funds the TDEC regulators, who are forbidden to
use DOE funds for any permitting activities.  It's like a wife-killer footing
 the bill for the policemen who are come to his home trying to get enough
evidence to charge him with a crime.  It's a blatant conflict of interest.
$17 million (or whatever) a year is paid by DOE to Tennessee to regulate DOE?
 Has someone lost touch?

Third, Earl Leming's a great guy, and was involved in the work on bringing
DOE to ground on the mercury losses back in 1982-1983. I've been to his
offices, and they held the Governor's Blue Ribbon Commitee meetings there.  I
don't see that much hard work going on.  The Governor's stood up to DOE on
the TSCA permit.  I don't see the local DAs and County Attorneys suing.  I
don't see the Governor suing.  Even though the DOE IG recommended shutting
down the TSCA incinerator, there are those in Oak Ridge who still favor
burning radioactive and toxic waste in the midst of a Superfund site, in the
midst of ridge-and-valley topography, underneath the plume of the Bull Run
and Kingston coal-fired powerplants, without knowing how air moves, without
putting up the ten towers that NOAA sought.

Again, DOE controls the money, DOE influences the outcome.  Same old story.

Ed Slavin

In a message dated 04/06/2000 6:53:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, loc@icx.net