No Subject

Mr. Slavin:

I am also a native Oak Ridger who has lived here for thirty five years.  I
do not doubt that there is a problem with contamination in areas of the
reservation.  I also am aware of the remediation that has taken place along
popular creek and other areas "outside the fence".  I also believe that some
of the illnesses claimed by the sick workers from the DOE site are probably
related to industrial exposures of chemicals and toxins.

However, in the media reporting of the studies that have been done on Oak
Ridge residents, I have not scene any conclusive evidence that any residents
have been harmed by contamination.  One study published recently was full of
wording like "may have been", "could have been", and "it is likely", but
failed to establish direct evidence.  If there is a study that provides
conclusive proof, please refer me to it so that I can consider the results
for myself.

As for some of your earlier postings to this list go, I think it is you and
other zealots like you who foster the "us against them" attitude.  Merely by
remarks such as "Do y'all want to be part of the solution or part of the
problem?" suggests that if we are not in agreement with your positions, we
are part of the problem.  Additionally, I think that you have brought a lot
of the skepticism on yourself.  As I said before, I do believe that some of
the illnesses suffered by workers from the DOE sites are probably related to
industrial exposures.  If so, those people are entitled to compensation and
medical benefits.  However, I find it very difficult to believe that every
malady from depression to sore throat and sniffles is brought on by these
exposures.  By enlisting in your cause every person who has the slightest
ache, pain or other problem merely diminishes that cause for the other
people who probably have legitimate reasons for compensation.

By some of your earlier remarks, it seems that you will not be happy until
the plants are closed, your clients are paid off, and whole city of Oak
Ridge ceases to exist.  At the same time, you seem to fight efforts to clean
up K-25 in the most economical manner possible. It seems you and others like
you would prefer to lock the gates and let things sit as they are.  Well, I
for one would prefer not to let abandoned buildings, process equipment and
containers full of hazardous contaminants sit until they corrode and leak
additional contamination into the surrounding air, water and soil. Your
attitude regarding the government and government contractors borders on
paranoia.

In one of your earlier postings you say of the sick workers "They're not
going away.  It's their country.  It's their boat.  They have a right to
rock it."  Yes, they do have a right to rock it.  However, when the wave
from their boat starts rocking my boat as well, I am going to rock back.

Tim Waddell
Oak Ridge, TN

These views are my own, and do not reflect the views of any other
organization.