Re: Accelerate DOE "cleanup" programs...

Susan,

I am way, way behind in reading my e-mail and just read your RADSAFE
message re the Oak Ridge "cleanup".  Unfortunately, the same political
spasms are holding up real progress at other sites.  In Richland, WA a
couple of year ago the Tri-Cities Herald newspaper bore a 4" headline:
"WE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OR OURSELVES!".  The editorial concerned the vast
amount of money that had been expended at Hanford that had resulted in
very little actual "cleanup" but had produced one inconclusive study
after another.

Of course, the regulators (which include those from DOE) have their own
real problems.  As I am sure you are aware, several year ago the NRC
proposed "Below Regulatory Concerned" levels of radioactive material.
(As many in the nuclear business knew, there were (and are) de facto BRC
levels and have been for many years).  Admittedly, the NRC failed to
adequately prepare for what should have the obvious:  A great deal of
public and anti-nuke high pitched opposition.  As expected, once
Congress saw which way public opinion was going, jumped on the band
wagon.  (I am reminded of something I read somewhere about a person
looking out of a window at a running mob and excitedly saying "I am
their leader and must run with them until I find the front of the
mob.")  I feel that the beating that the NRC suffered in this case has
made all regulatory Agencies very, very reluctant to propose anything
like de minimis levels.

Cheers,

Jack Bell, bellstar@erols.com