Re: A dose of reality, continued

It seems to me:

(1) The incidence of cancer increased significantly, and, there is no
doubt that this is a statistically proven accounting.

(2) We know that if KI is taken right after a release, the thyroid
essentially blocks the uptake of I-131.

(3) The cost of stock-piling is not a significant issue when one
takes into account the cost of treating the thyroid cases that could
be prevented. The fact that many thyroid cases are not fatal, there
is a significant cost to the patients as well as to society. Insurance
costs reflect the treatments and we all share in the cost ultimately.

(4) There is no significant evidence that mass distribution of KI
causes serious side effects to those who may be allergic. If there
is this evidence, I am not aware of it. In any event, the side effects
to a few can not eliminate the minimization of the increased cancer
rates without benefit of the KI.

(5) Why warn the public within the 10 mile EPZ if not to take all
preventative measures. What's the point in calling for sheltering, or
evacuation, if we can't minimize their exposure to any releases of I-
131, if there is a release of large magnitude. Granted, TMI did not
have a large release, but what's to say that another incident won't
see a large release.

In conclusion, I think it's prudent to stockpile, analyze the medical
effects of taking the KI and be more detailed in the pros and cons.
Perhaps distribution may be restricted to a certain population,
maybe not. The only thing I know positively is,,,,, distribution of and
taking KI does reduce thyroid cancers. Isn't that one of the bottom
line criteria?
Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205