RE: Epidemiology of Multiple Myeloma at Four DOE Sites

A video version of this study was in circulation almost 2 years ago.  The
overall result of the study that I saw when I reviewed the data was that the
controls had a higher level of cancer than the subjects.  It was, to me
(admittedly not an expert in cancer research) a clear picture of hormesis in
action.  The author had to look long and hard to find any support for his
preconceived answer that low levels of radiation cause cancer.  Only by
dividing the subjects by age group was he able to show "an increase" in
cancer.  If you know the answer you want, it is usually possible to massage
your data until you find a sub-group that has that answer.  That's good for
getting more federal money to do more study, but it leaves a bad taste in my
mouth when a researcher comes to a conclusion, based on part of his data,
that is contrary to the conclusion seen when all data is considered.

My opinion only.

Les Aldrich
l_k_ii_les_aldrich@rl.gov