Prostate Implants & Cremation

Hi, all,

I've just scanned through the archives and found that there was no
indication that anyone has actually measured the results of cremation
of an I-125 implanted body on the crematorium (in terms of
contamination produced, or likely exposure to inhabitants of the
neighbourhood, or crematorium staff, or family members taking home
'cremains'.).  It seems a few people have produced some theoretical
calculations which suggest this might cause a problem, but these seem
to be very 'cautious' calculations, which probably exaggerate the risk considerably.

I know that there are some sites which have been doing prostate
implants for years, and am hoping for some hard evidence from them.
(Surely there have been some deaths by now?)  Perhaps someone was
cremated, say - a year after implantation??

I feel very reluctant to set up a policy which would prevent cremation
(an emotional, financial and logistical impact on the surviving family
members) if, as my instinct whispers, there is an insignificant risk
from proceding.  I have heard of institutions considering issuing
cards which the patient would have to keep in their wallet for two
years, and others who suggest that a wrist band should be worn for two years.

Previous attempts by others to get a real answer to this seem to have
come up short, so let's try again!

Regards, and thanks to any who can shed some light on this,

Chris Davey

--
RSO / LSO Cross Cancer Institute 11560 University Avenue
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 1Z2