RE: New study finds multiple myeloma linked to radiation exposures of nuclear workers

I don't know much about this, but I seem to recall that the average age of
onset of this disease is listed as from 63 to 70 years old.  Also seems that
other studies have shown the ratios stated between blacks/whites/male/female
to be pretty much the same.  Is it possible that what was discovered is in
reality exactly what you would expect to see in the general population?  I
admit that I did not read the entire URL article, just what was included in
the post so there may be information of which I am unaware.  I am sure that
someone has the time or the information at hand to see if this is an
increase in the rate from the general population.  anyway, break from class
is over and it is time to return to instructing.

    "Workers exposed to ionizing radiation at older ages appeared to be =
more sensitive than younger workers," Wing said. "However, that does not =
mean that it is safe for young workers to be exposed to radiation. =
Exposures during the child-bearing ages might lead to genetic mutations =
that could affect children and future generations."

    Male workers and those hired before 1948 died of multiple myeloma at =
about twice the rate of women and workers hired after 1948, the =
scientists found. Blacks were almost five times as likely as whites to =
have developed the illness, although only five cases were found among =
blacks.

"If we keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we're getting."
Chris A. Marthaller, RRPT mailto:chrism@wipp.carlsbad.nm.us
<mailto:chrism@wipp.carlsbad.nm.us>
Phone (505) 234-8661

Sr. Training Coordinator - WIPP
Obviously, these are the author's unofficial views.