Re: A dose of reality, continued [thyroid cancer thread]

FYI,

A little while ago I came accross this bit of information from an August 9
1986 Montreal Gazette article about another case of fallout contamination -
that of a 1954 South Pacific hydrogen bomb test - it talked of "a
non-medical complication that bemused and confounded the doctors:"

	"Because the discovery and removal of a thyroid nodule is worth
money to the islanders (under federal law, the United States must pay each
exposure victim $25,000 in compensation for the problem), having a thyroid
nodule is almost considered a stroke of good fortune in a place where few
people earn wages. One middle-aged man ... is heard to complain bitterly
that 	among his immediate family members only one nodule has been found."

However, I also seem to recall from reading the BNL reports (I think) that
every thyroid that looked even the slightest bit suspicious was removed,
just in case...  ...perhaps a somewhat overzealous strategy there ?

Jaro

PS. sorry about the length of this posting, but I thought it worthwhile to
append these previous postings...